...a way of seeing beyond inner and outer.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A Given Wednesday

Ever since watching the film adaptation of Dinesen's story Babette's Feast, I've been in love with the idea of the overly complex dinner party.  It's a lot like a marathon. You don't enjoy doing it as much as you enjoy having done it.
Tonight is one of those nights because we have a standing midweek dinner with very good friends who don't mind if dinner is late, if it's a bit of a circus or if I experiment as long as they can have a glass of wine or two and take home the leftovers.  Dinner is not always a complete success, but no one's turned one down yet.


Butter
Radishes
Cold Smoked Salmon
Parsley/Caper/onion/lemon/ confetti
Schramsberg 2008 Blanc de Noir

Butter lettuce, sweet pea, 
browned mushrooms, bacon , raw aspargus salad 
Herb vinigrette 
Warm goat cheese medalion crisped in butter
As yet undetermined sauvignon blanc

Meatloaf with pâté de campagne leanings
Multi-colored scalloped potatoes
Roasted beets
Iron Horse 2008 Pinot Noir

Chocolate Pudding*
Bananas in caramel, flamed with scotch
Whipped cream
coffee




*I will definitely use 1/2t less cinnamon next time and this really needs to be done the day before so it can marry, but it was surprisingly good.

4 comments:

  1. I would love to have a friend like you, who does all the work :) What a lovely evening!
    P.S. those other cookies sound divine! I'll have to give them a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GG, they really are the most amazing sandies. something about the whole wheat makes them very grownup, and they're not terribly sweet despite the milk chocolate. And while I'm at it, thank you for the finger wag and the "get over it" advise. I'm taking it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had a friend like you. That menu is making my mouth water.

    Have you seen "Big Night"? Great movie about one memorable meal.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know what you think, "for the Sake of Blessed Connection and Exquisite Controversy"