...a way of seeing beyond inner and outer.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Exercise Compassionate Wisdom

It seems sort of trivial to worry about doing a database backup or eyeliner when the world is falling apart at the seams.   I don't really believe the world is falling apart at the seams, but there is a great deal going on in the world that would completely destroy the belief that it's all going swimmingly.   The choice I've given myself is to panic, which I'm extraordinarily good at doing, or to do something to help. Several things in fact, but it almost doesn't matter what, because the fact is, if you suffer, I suffer.  If someone in Japan, or Libya, or Mississippi, Darfur or Mexico suffers, we do all suffer.  We are all connected and to deny that is to deny reality.
Reality also tells us that what we individually do can't make much of a difference, but what we as a species  does. What we see in each other and how we extend ourselves to help can, does, will and is.
Backup the database.  It keeps your employer from being scared.   Put on your eyeliner. It makes someone who has to look at you smile. Make jewelery  if you are unfortunate enough to have the supplies. If you are not, buy some.  It will say something about what you believe...

Exercise compassionate wisdom is my to-do list for pretty much the rest of my life because to exercise compassionate wisdom is to be released from the suffering inherent in cyclic existence.

1 comment:

  1. You have an amazing way with words. I try so hard to convey how my heart hurts when anybody's heart hurts but most people just stare at me with disbelief. It's nice to know that you understand and relate.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know what you think, "for the Sake of Blessed Connection and Exquisite Controversy"