...a way of seeing beyond inner and outer.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

If you don't want to do something, one excuse is as good as another.

That may or may not be an old Yiddish proverb but it doesn't exactly apply hits too close to home and it made me laugh.  I do want to do something, a lot of things,  in fact.  They're all percolating and were all conceived during the five days Flynn, the husbandry unit, and I spent in Sonoma county.  None of them are babies, at least not the diaper changing put through college kind of babies.
Until this past weekend I didn't really understand why I should travel except for the ego boost of telling someone about how marvelous Marrakesh is before the monsoons, though I don't really know if Marrakesh and monsoons go together any better than Reykjavik and sunbathing do, but I would if I'd gone to either one and I'd love to tell other people about how interesting I am because I know these things about these places. 
The problem is that I'm lazy and I already like me more than I want you to like me, so I haven't traveled as I keep saying I want to do.
After this weekend I get it.  Travel is the most extraordinary gift.  Again, I get it.  Finally.  It upends your world and the entire kaleidescope of your life can change, in more than one way.  Most of them good, amazing and I can't wait to spill it all out, but some of the ways travel tosses your life about require my attention at the moment.     
1)The master bedroom suffers from PTSD --post travel/stylessness disorder
2)My adult children will never make a bed in my house. I accept this now.
3)Style cannot be defined as the two hundred ninety pillows included in a three hundred piece bedding set
4) Men should not be allowed to go into places where they have access to aesthetically questionable, albeit pragmatic objects.   Sharper imagine (and megamart) leapt to mind.

  
François VI, Duc de La Rochefoucauld, Prince de Marcillac, gentle cynic of the 17th century had something to say that says it all, really: "We have more ability than will power, and it is often an excuse to ourselves that we imagine that things are impossible."     Amen, Frank.

2 comments:

  1. I love the kaleidescope image of what traveling can do for your life!!

    P.S. Just for your information, you can still submit a "tale" before next Tuesday when the new prompts come out.

    ReplyDelete

I love to know what you think, "for the Sake of Blessed Connection and Exquisite Controversy"