...a way of seeing beyond inner and outer.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Family potato salad

     A few Sunday's ago, the local part of my weird, extended, quasi-manufactured family got together at our place for dinner. In any group of people kluged together by birth, marriage or rush hour there is inevitably going to be drama, and  there's never going to be a time when someone isn't annoyed with someone else, but we're able, for short bursts of time, to get over our small selves.  It's worth it. I really like us when in moments like that.
    This was the first time we'd all been together since the shock and awe that didn't and wasn't  took place and the first time, my best friend, aka, wife-in-law, aka my husband's ex-wife came to our house with her husband so you can understand that I was a little concerned that 1) there would be attitude or 2) there would be no one there.... and I made a mountain of food anyway.      
     That what we do in Texas.
     "These people may leave mad, but they ain't leavin' hungry, damnit"
     Fortunately, everyone involved made a fragile peace. It might have been all the wine, although that can turn ugly so I like to think we just let it go, whatever form "it" happened to take in each of our own mental miasmas. Unfortunately, only a small hill's worth of the mountain was consumed.  I sent home as many leftovers as they'd take, but J and I  ate the rest for several days.  It wasn't that tough and when I sat down to eat the last of the potato salad for breakfast the other day, yes it's that good, I decided I'd share the recipe.
     It's not that generous of me because it's my sister-in-law's recipe and I asked her if I could share it. She hasn't said no yet and that was a week or so ago. I figure if she was appalled, I'd have heard about it by now.  I keep it on my email account in a file folder labeled "Life Stuff I might Need".  It has far more crunchy, high fiber vegetables than it does potatoes and therefore I feel less guilty about eating it. I also take wild license with the recipe, adding radishes, olives,  jalapeños ( oh mama ) or whatever else strikes me as appealing in the moment, but here's the original recipe. After coming back through to edit, it strikes me that this simple tumbling of dismembered vegetables is a lot like family.  Disjointed parts making a colorful whole.

Kitty's Potato Salad
  • 5 lb. potatoes, boiled in their skins (VERY important - does something incredible to the taste).
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 large onion
  • 2 or 3 ribs celery, depending on preference.
  • 1 medium cucumber
  • 3 hard boiled eggs
  • 1 medium tomato
  • salt, pepper, garlic salt, and paprika to taste.
  • yellow mustard
  • mayonnaise
 
Peel the potatoes (lots of fun!) and cut everything up.  Mix in 1 or 2 tbsp. mustard, enough mayonnaise to make it all stick together (about 3/4 cup or so) and add the spices. Sprinkle more paprika on top for color.  Voila!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to know what you think, "for the Sake of Blessed Connection and Exquisite Controversy"