...a way of seeing beyond inner and outer.

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Slower Saturday

My very first me meme!  I'm so happy for me!  A supporting project for Veg the Man was the seed of the idea, but only because it got me thinking about how we use our down time ( this is where I pause for everyone to laugh and say, "Downtime? Are you kidding me?" to which I reply, "Schedule some." ) Down time is not the same as off time...it does not have to mean it's unproductive time, it just means, we allow ourselves to slow down and stop chasing the clock.   What do you do with your "slow" Saturday?

 I start with tuneage.. this kind of tuneage.  



After that, in the case of this Saturday, I make:
Slow Saturday Vegetable Stock
Step 1:
Preheat the oven to 450F
Put peelings, scraps, and every vegetable that's
starting to have a  "Produce gone Bad" look about it
onto a baking tray lined with foil, or parchment paper.
Consider stock a vegetable intervention.
Sprinkle on olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
Roast on top rack until everything gets nicely browned,
about 20 minutes.  Then move to the bottom rack for
another 15 - 20 minutes, until you can see the
bottom of the pan browned.

Add the roasted vegetables to a large pot filled with cold water
and simmer on very low flame for 4 hours.
Cool, strain and store in the fridge or freezer until needed.
Since there's no meat in this, the vegetable left overs
can be put into a compost pile, thus completing the
circle of soup.

This might seem like a great deal of work, but it's not.  It's throwing things on a tray, roasting them, then tossing them into water for a low, slow simmering.. it's a slow long process but there's little real work that happens, and what work does happen is made a great deal easier by a glass of wine and a sharp knife.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to know what you think, "for the Sake of Blessed Connection and Exquisite Controversy"