...a way of seeing beyond inner and outer.

Friday, September 3, 2010

"I understand. I agree. I don't care."

I wore my seatbelt long before it became a law and insisted that my “people” did the same.    They whined, moaned, and did it any way because I wouldn’t budge until they did.  
Them:
“It’s choking me.”
“It wrinkles my suit.”
“We’re just going three blocks.”
Me:
“I understand." 
"I agree."
"I don’t care."
Breakfast is like that.  Everything you read about weight management says,
“Eat breakfast,”
unless of course you’re reading a quote by some skinny Hollywood actress who will most likely be found later to have had an affinity for C17H21NO4, not good, but it will help you maintain a size zero, if you’re into that sort of thing.   I’m not.  
I’m into eating, obviously, with the exception of breakfast. I hate eating breakfast. I don’t even like what passes for breakfast food, yeasty pastries included, but I now eat breakfast.  Quite frankly, I don’t think people should be allowed to speak until noonish, so eating before then is problematic for me. Coffee. Yes.  Food.  Ack..  I understand. I agree. I don't care. Do it.  
I say this because I’ve lost a total of 18lbs by eating what I want with very few rules about what and even how much, provided I TASTE whatever I’m eating and revel in each bite.   Breakfast is the exception.  I whine. I moan and I eat it anyway because I’ve finally seen it for what it is, something that keeps me from crashing face first into the cupcakes when I run into hunger.



Brulee’d breakfast berries
1 cup frozen berries.
¼ cup non-fat greek style yogurt**
a few drops of good vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt
1 teaspoon demerara sugar***


Sprinkle muesli into the bottom of a single service oven proof dish.
Defrost the berries until they are warm and have released their juices and pour over the muesli.  Set aside.
Mix the remaining ingredients and spoon over oat and berry mixture.  Turn on broiler and place dish about six inches from heat source.  You want this to take a few more minutes than expected so the oats have time to absorb the berry juices and the berries have time to warm up completely


* any granola, or combination of oats, nuts and dried fruit will work
** it makes a difference and yogurt that’s not greek will not give you the mouth appeal that the greek type will.  I’ve tried. I know from which I speak.
*** any sugar will work, but demerara has the advantage of being large crystals so you get a little bit of sugary crunch ala crème brulee and you can add more depending on the sweetness of the berries and your “tooth”.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, will you come live with me and make me breakfast if I promise not to speak to you?

    ReplyDelete

I love to know what you think, "for the Sake of Blessed Connection and Exquisite Controversy"